Trouble At Freeport: A report of the Australian Council for Overseas Aid

Eyewitness accounts of West Papuan resistance to the Freeport-McMoRan mine in Irian Jaya (West Papua), Indonesia and Indonesian military repression:
June 1994 - February 1995

"I am always angry at God and why He had to place these beautiful mountains here because the Amungme people have received nothing from Freeport except problems."

- Tuwarek Karkime, Amunge tribal elder


Australian Council for Overseas Aid,
Human Rights Office,
124 Napier St,
Fitzroy 3065,
Tel. (03) 417 7505 Fax. (03) 416 2746

April 1995


Background and Summary

The serious incidents related in this report are but the latest in a history of bad relations between Freeport Indonesia and the local Amungme people whose traditional lands were appropriated when the mine commenced in 1967, two years before the so-called Act of Free Choice which ceded West Papua to Indonesia as its 26th Province. This UN-endorsed process, which many West Papuans consider an injustice, continues to fuel political discontent and an armed movement for independence.

The huge copper, gold and silver mine, Indonesia's biggest, is located in the rugged Grasberg Mountains of Irian Jaya (West Papua). It is owned by the New Orleans-based Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold Corporation. Other known shareholders include the Indonesian government, RTZ, and German and private interests. Freeport currently exports its copper concentrate to Japan, Australia, South Korea, the US and Europe where it also supplies a smelter-refinery in Spain.

The company has a base in Cairns where Australian staff who work for Freeport regularly fly to Timika along with Australian supplies and other services.

In 1991 Freeport signed a new contract with Indonesia adding 2.5 million hectares to its concession area. The chairman of Freeport McMoRan, Mr James R Moffett, recently told the Australian that the Irian Jaya (West Papua) story was just beginning for the company. 'The potential is only limited by the imagination', he said. 'Every other mining company wants to get into Irian Jaya (West Papua). Bougainville and Ok Tedi don't hold a candle to Grasberg'. (10 March 1995)

Although the Amungme struck an agreement with Freeport (in 1976) and have received some material assistance from the company, tribal elders say their people are increasingly socially and culturally fragmented and addicted to alcohol and tobacco. Living standards are low. Only 13% of all employees at Freeport are West Papuan. The Ajikwa river is said to be badly polluted from the mine and Kwamki-lama residents have been warned by Freeport authorities not to drink the river water or eat sago growing next to it.

The reported actions are the first major anti-Freeport protests since 1977 when the Amungme people and OPM independence fighters, in actions reminiscent of Bougainville, blew up Freeport's pipeline to the coast. On that occasion, the Indonesian military bombed and strafed villages and entire communities were resettled away from the mine near the coast.

The report is confirmed, in broad terms, by independent foreigners who have visited the mine area since June last year. While stressing the extreme difficulty of obtaining specific details, they have reported areas being off-limits, references to flag-raising, and attacks and military activity in the Tembagapura area. Few local people are literate or have access to communications and are intimidated to remain silent by the authorities.

Indonesian media carried reports on 9 and 10 February 1995 stating that the Indonesian government planned to relocate some 2000 local people over the next 3 months and that some 200 so called GPK rebels had recently surrendered to the Indonesian military in the Tembagapura area. As the report would appear to claim these are innocent civilians who were caught up in the conflict, and nothing is known of their whereabouts, grave fears are held for their welfare.

In summary, the report makes the following specific allegations:

  1. The OPM flag was raised in the Tsinga Valley July-December 1994.
  2. OPM-ABRI clashes occurred in the Tsinga Valley July-December resulting in the killing of about 10 civilians.
  3. 200-250 people (115 families) fled into the bush to escape the OPM-ABRI clashes and stayed for 6 months without receiving outside assistance.
  4. The villages of Tsinga and Hoea were subjected to searches by ABRI. ABRI burned down houses, destroyed gardens and looted a church in Tsinga.
  5. Six relatives of the OPM leader, Kelly Kwalik, were tortured in Timika and have since disappeared, believed executed.
  6. ABRI established new check-points, especially in Timika, to monitor indigenous people.
  7. ABRI and Freeport security engaged in acts of intimidation, extracted forced confessions, shot 3 civilians, disappeared 5 Dani villagers, and arrested and tortured 13 people after an OPM flag raising in Tembagapura on 25 December last.
  8. In summary, the uprising in Tsinga and Christmas Day demonstration in Tembagapura resulted in, at least, 37 people killed and/or disappeared of whom 22 were civilians and 15 were rebels.
  9. The massive extension of the Freeport concession area by 2.6 million ha will further displace and degrade indigenous peoples.

ACFOA recommendations

  1. That the UN Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions visit Irian Jaya (West Papua) to investigate the allegations and the situation in the Freeport area with a view to reporting to the UN Human Rights Commission.
  2. That this report be referred to the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations for its consideration and action.
  3. That the Indonesian Commission for Human Rights visit the area to conduct a comprehensive investigation of the allegations and the general situation of local communities and that its report be released publically.
  4. That the Australian Government take up the concerns raised by this report with the Government of Indonesia and urge Indonesia to cooperate with the recommendations above and that the Australian government specifically make enquiries about (1) the killing of civilians by the Indonesian Armed Forces, (2) the situation of the 200-250 West Papuans who reportedly surrendered to the Indonesian military, (3) the reported plan of the Indonesian government to relocate a further 2000 people from the Tembagapura area to the lowlands, and (4) Freeport Indonesia's relations with the local community and the exercise of its environmental and social responsibilities.
  5. That Australia legislates in favour of a 'social clause' for Australian-based business activity in Indonesia and promotes the case for such a clause in APEC and WTO forums.

The report was prepared in Irian Jaya (West Papua) and is based on accounts taken from local people. In preparing it for publication, ACFOA has made slight editorial changes.

Pat Walsh


Report by Eyewitnesses in Tembagapura, Irian Jaya (West Papua), June 1994 to February 1995.

From June to December 1994 about 300 or more indigenous people, mostly of the Amungme tribe whom the Indonesian authorities call Gerakan Pengacau Keamanan (GPK) or security disturbers, a term which refers to the Organisasi Papua Merdeka (OPM) or West Papua Liberation Movement, were involved in a series of protests against the American Freeport- McMoran Copper and Gold's subsidiary company of Freeport Indonesia that operates in the customary lands of the Amungme and Kamoro indigenous tribal peoples of the southern region of the Central Ranges in Indonesia's easternmost Province of 'Irian Jaya (West Papua)'.

Protests of the so-called 'GPK rebels' in the form of uprising, flag raising and peaceful demonstration started in Bella village in the far east in June, shifted down to Tsinga valley during July to December and ended with a peaceful demonstration and flag raising on 25 December in Tembagapura.

The longest action which involved 'GPK rebels' and the Indonesian Armed Forces (ABRI) in a serious battle occurred in Tsinga valley (about 200 km north-north east of Timika or about 60 km east of Tembagapura) where the OPM flag (a morning star with seven white and blue coloured stripes) was raised during July to December. Armed with arrows and bows, spears, blades and a few machine guns, the rebels fought against the ABRI troops that back up Freeport Indonesia Company.

There are a number of underlying reasons why the rebels undertook the uprising and demonstration. Eye witnesses who visited Tsinga to negotiate with the rebels for the release of ordinary people trapped in the battle, asked Kelly Kwalik (the rebels leader) why the uprising was staged. He said that it was the rebels' custom each year to commemorate 1 July (West Papua's Independence Day) and that they absolutely do not agree with Freeport that has taken over their lands and exploits the mineral resources within their sacred sites. They feel that since Freeport started in 1967 the lives of the indigenous peoples have grown worse, they themselves have been deprived of their lands and many of them killed every time they protest.

Mr Kwalik is very much concerned about the impact of Freeport's Contract of Work (CoW) II on Bloc B covering 2.6 million ha of the Central Ranges (that stretches along the Weyland mountains in the west to Star mountains in the east on the border of Indonesia (Irian Jaya (West Papua)) and Papua New Guinea), that will affect thousands of indigenous people inhabiting the area. He said that with this new contract their lives will be more devastated, the environment and culture degraded and many people will be displaced. Finally there will be no future for them as indigenous people. This Amungme chief further pointed to the problems that today are faced by the Amungme and Kamoro people who since the Freeport mine began in 1967 have lost 10,000 ha or more of their customary lands without any compensation, mineral resources within their sacred sites are extracted without consent and the environment is destroyed. Today they have become victims in the hands of this gigantic American mining company. He declared that they will keep fighting for their rights with arrows and bows, spears and blades. He said that in this way they would appeal to the deepest heart of the international community to open their ears, their eyes and their minds to the slaughter, plight and streams of blood of Jo-Mun Nerek's children (the indigenous people) that pour in this land.

Jo-Mun Nerek is the Amungme tribe's ancestors' spirit. This spirit lives in the mountains and it is there to care for and look after the Amungme people. They believe that when the Amungmes die their spirits go to the mountains. This is why the mountains are sacred to this people.

As the authorities claimed this 'movement' was rebellious, many troops equipped with automatic weapons, lodgings, communication devices and aircraft, dropped into Hoea, Tsinga, Tembagapura and Mile 50.

Since July last year these areas were declared 'strict areas' where new ABRI check-points were established to monitor the daily activities of the indigenous people. In Kwamki Lama village of Timika alone, home to most of the Amungme people from Waa resettled by Freeport and the Government in 1982, 3 check-points were set up and the villagers, commanded by ABRI members, were scheduled for night duties.

When Tsinga valley became a battle field between the rebels and ABRI troops, more than 200 civilians (115 families) from the valley who were caught between the two forces, fled to hide in the forests. Some who escaped to Tembagapura and Timika said that because ABRI suspected the villagers, teachers and church people of giving support to the 'rebels', they clear-cut plants in the traditional fields of the people, burned down their houses (including three houses of the teachers) and took away cupboards, kerosene and other materials of the church in Tsinga. About 10 civilians (9 Amungme and 1 Biak) were killed in the long, sporadic battle.

Information from eyewitnesses said that ABRI troops searched every corner of Tsinga and Hoea villages to capture and kill the civilians, specifically those related to the 'rebels' in the forest. Six relatives of Kelly Kwalik, the rebel leader, in one of the transmigration sites in Timika, were captured and brought to the ABRI post in Timika in November where they were interrogated and tortured, and finally six of them disappeared.

After Tsinga, the 'rebels' held a peaceful demonstration in Tembagapura on 25 December. This time they raised the West Papuan flag in between two ABRI posts at Mile 68. In response, ABRI and Freeport security shot dead 3 civilians, 5 Dani people disappeared and 13 Waa and Banti civilians were arrested and tortured.

Many people, especially indigenous people in Timika, were concerned about the lives of the ordinary civilians because there was no help from the government and no social relief organisations for these people. When he was asked by a local man related to the villagers of Tsinga valley whether the government could do anything to help the ordinary people, the camat (head) of Eastern Mimika Sub-District replied that the government could not help the civilians because ABRI said it was very 'risky' to go there. Besides there was no guarantee from ABRI to protect those who would help the civilians. Tsinga civilians in the forests were then left helpless and had to struggle on their own to survive for 6 months in between the two forces until some civilians finally decided to talk with the fighters in December to free them.

Information from eyewitnesses said that the uprising in Tsinga from June to December 1994 and demonstration in Tembagapura on 25 December resulted in 37 people killed and/or disappeared of whom 22 were civilians and 15 were rebels. The sources stated, however, that since the ABRI troops are still searching in many places until today and detain indigenous people who are suspects, the figures of those killed or disappeared must be more than that.

The Tembagapura Incident

On 24 December 1994, many Freeport employees in Tembagapura moved down to Timika. There was no one in the barracks. It was very different to years before when many Freeport employees, except for those who have vacations, used to spend their Christmas time in Tempagapura. According to some Freeport employees, they had heard some information that the rebels from the forest wanted to demonstrate in Tembagapura.

As usual the sky on the early morning of 25 December in Tembagapura town was fairly bright. It was about 5.30 am and some local people of Tembagapura, Waa, Banti, and Arwanop were on the move to Kalvari Kingmi Church in Mile 68 for Christmas morning service. But they were very surprised to see a crowd of people gathering somewhere in between two ABRI posts in Mile 68 and Mile 67 in Tembagapura. They were singing traditional songs, marching and sometimes crying out yel yel. Most of them were wearing penis gourds, their bodies painted with rich colours and decorated with traditional accessories such as boar's tusks, sea shells and feathers on their head covers. They had armed themselves with arrows and bows, spears and long blades, and very few guns. (Original reads 'very few machinary guns'. Ed). There were about 300 people, singing and marching around a pole on top of which waved the OPM flag.

Not long after, ABRI and Freeport security suddenly spread around to cover the crowd. Without warning the people, they raised their weapons directly to the crowd and started shooting. The rebels cried out to the ABRI and Freeport security to stop shooting, saying that they had not come for a bloody war and that they just wanted to speak to Freeport officials and ABRI about their rights. However, those shooting did not care and kept shooting at the crowd from all directions. The crowd fled in disorder. One of the crowd quickly pulled down the flag and ran away to join the others in the nearest forest in Arwanop village. The rebels did not reply (original reads 'did not reversed to the shots'. Ed) to the shots of the ABRI and Freeport security. Natanewelan Hanggaibak (43), a civilian of Waa Valley who was on his way to the church that morning, was trapped in the shooting and was killed hugging the flagpole.

ABRI and Freeport security chased the rebels and local civilians suspected of involvement all around Tembagapura, in Waa, Banti and Arwanop. Four ABRI members broke into a congregation during their Christmas morning service in the Kingmi Kalvari church in Waa (Mile 67) to search for people they suspected. They warned the congregation not to leave the church which filled the divine service with strain and fear.

Nogoigamakme Mom (31) of Banti village who was also on his way to church that morning hid, out of fear, about 30 m away from the Kalvari church. He was supposed to walk into the church but he hesitated to do so when he saw ABRI guarding outside the church. Bending to light his cigarette, he did not realise that one of the ABRI members outside the church had crept close to him and without asking fired a series of shots into his back until he collapsed dead. Hearing the shots and Nogoigomakme's cry the people in the church cried out fearfully. But the other three ABRI barked at the congregation to settle down.

Some minutes later the military commander (Danki) of Tembagapura came down to the church giving warnings to the congregation. 'Today is a holy day. It is Christmas time. I'm not sure of you. Are you Christians or communists? It is impossible for those 300 rebels to have been here this morning in Tembagapura and raise the Papuan flag if there was no food supply to them.'

Referring to Christmas eve when people in Waa, Banti and Arwanop gathered to celebrate with a pig feast, he said, 'You must have been organising the feast for those 300 rebels. Look, ABRI will search for those involved. If we find out there'll be no forgiveness. And all of you have to defend yourselves. Don't try to cooperate with those in the forest. If any of you are involved you have to inform us.'

A young man responded to the commander's statements and said, 'But, Mr Commander, how could we the ordinary people defend ourselves? We have no guns!'

'I don't care. You can use your arrows and bows, spears and blades or whatever. The main thing is that you have to do something', replied the commander angrily.

It was about 9 a.m. when the church service finished and the people went home in fear. Six people of the Dani tribe from Timika who were at the service tried to catch a bus back to Timika. But many local people suggested they should stay till the situation improved. The local people reminded the 6 people of the warnings given by the commander in the church. But these Danis argued that their families in Timika were expecting them.

After waiting a couple of minutes they 'easily' got on a bus in front of the Sports Hall in Mile 68 Tembagapura. (This was 'strange' because in their experience as indigenous people it is usually not easy to ride on Freeport's buses). At Mile 67 the bus stopped for some ABRI members to get on. But on their way between Mile 67 and Mile 66, a local man on the roadside saw one of the Dani, whose eyes were covered with red cloth and hands tied ('tightened' in original. Ed) backward, trying to get out of the bus window. He made it but was shot dead by one of the ABRI in the bus. Two ABRI got out of the bus to drag the body into the bus and then headed on.

The eye witness saw the other five Danis were also tied ('tightened' in original. Ed) backwards and had their eyes covered with red cloths. But nobody knows what happened to this group of five. They never reached their families in Timika. When wives of the six people asked about their husbands the Military Commander of Timika told them that their husbands had already fled into the forest joining the GPK rebels. His explanation was contradicted by Sergeant Waker (Dani man), the Military commander of Kwamki Lama village in Timika. He said that according to information from Tembagapura those six Dani people (who are his relatives) had come down to Timika by bus on 25 December. He wondered what had happened to them.

As the six Danis disappeared, ABRI began searching every single village (valleys) below Tembagapura such as Waa, Banti and Arwanop for villagers suspected of involvement with the rebel activities. In this search the ABRI troops cooperated with local people of other tribes who acted as 'spies' to supply information. On 26 December, the ABRI captured 9 Amungme people of Waa and Banti valleys and arrested them at the ABRI post in Mile 67, Tembagapura. (See Appendix 2) Based on more information from the spies ABRI troops conducted another sweep on 27 December in the same valleys where they captured 4 other people.

In that ABRI post the 13 people arrested were forced by ABRI to accept that they had cooperated with the 'GPK rebels' in the forest. But none of them accepted that accusation. According to one of the detainees because of their rejection of that accusation they were kicked with shoes and punched with rifle butts all over until their bodies were a bloody mess. He said that ABRI tortured them with electric shocks, their bodies were sliced with razorblades ('gillettes' in original. Ed) and stabbed with knives.

Another detainee described how he was badly kicked in the head till he bled and in his mouth so that he lost two teeth. He said he was punched with a rifle butt on his back till he threw up blood. He complains that today, after one month in detention, everytime he coughs there is often blood in his spit. This man described how they were tortured and threatened by the ABRI troops to accept that they had cooperated with the rebels. But when they tried to tell the truth the ABRI troops always barked at them saying, 'If you keep refusing to accept that you cooperated with the rebels, we will hang you up and shoot you!'

The man further explained that because of the continual threats and torture and because many of them suffered much from wounds on their bodies, when the ABRI forced them to sign a letter of agreement which stated that all of them had cooperated with the rebels, about 12 of them finally decided to sign and were then released. Only one man refused to sign the letter. He said that he had to tell the truth that he was never involved with the rebels' activities. He was held and tortured for one month.


Seeing that many of their people had been captured, arrested and tortured, some village personages of Arwanop, Banti and Waa villages tried to negotiate with the military commander (Danki) in Tembagapura. But they found it was very difficult to convince him. The military commander responded to questions from the representatives by saying, 'How could you people prove to me that those 13 people did not cooperate with the rebels? Can you get one of those rebels to prove that you have no 'relationship' with them?'

To prove this, on 27 December many people of Arwanop, Banti and Waa equipped with arrows and bows, spears and blades went to search for OPM rebels in Arwanop village where they killed Notomkal Jawame (33) and chopped his body to pieces. They brought his arm portion to show the military commander. But again he did not trust what the people did. He never changed his mind on the 13 people that the ABRI arrested.

Finding it very difficult to convince ABRI, the villagers decided to gather in Waa village on 28 December to discuss other solutions for the 13 detainees. The meeting decided to send four people to meet with Freeport officials and ABRI on 29 December in Tembagapura. Present from Freeport were John Cutts (Community Area Development), Surya Atmadjaja (Government Relations) and Lexy Linturan (Head of Security). The only ABRI representative was the military commander (Danki) of Tembagapura, whilst the Amungmes were represented by four people led by tribal chief Narkime Tuwarek of Waa village.

At the meeting the military commander (Danki) asked the Amungme representatives, 'Why did the 300 rebels raise the West Papuan flag?' Elder Tuwarek Narkime responded to the commander (Danki) as follows: 'I'm only an ordinary civilian. I know nothing of what you're talking about. If you (as ABRI) ask that kind of question then there is no deference between you and me who am 'uneducated'. You should be aware that we ordinary civilians know absolutely nothing about what those 300 people had been doing. You (ABRI and Freeport) are the ones to know what those 300 people are doing. How dare you accuse us ordinary people.'

With tears in his eyes, the tribal chief said sadly, 'I always ask God everyday in my prayers and thoughts, why did He have to create those beautiful rocky and snowy mountains in the Amungme tribal people's area? Or for those beautiful rocky and snowy mountains which have rich mineral resources attracting Freeport, ABRI and the Government and many outsiders to come here and exploit the resources for their sake leaving us sufferers, and therefore we the Amungme people have to be continuously suppressed, captured and killed? If it is you'd better destroy us and wipe us out so that you can take all we have, our lands, our mountains and every piece of our resources. It's true I am always angry at God and why He had to place those things here. But gentlemen I'm coming here now because my time has already arrived. I'm old now. Moses Kilangin and many of the other elders who helped Forbes Wilson on his survey for Freeport in the past have already died and some are very old now. And you should be aware yourselves that we have received nothing from Freeport. All we've got today are costs, the problems that we deal with now.'

Offering the blade he was holding to Lexy of Freeport, Tuwarek urged him saying, 'Hold this blade Lexy. Take it and kill me because I can't stand anymore to see these problems that really hurt me. Do it to me now Lexy. Take off my head. Chop my body in two pieces and take out all the stuff in my stomach and put it together with my head. Slice the left side of the body and bury each piece from here (Tembagapura) up to Grassberg; do too the right side from here (Tembagapura) to Amamapare (Portsides). On your way back round up all those you arrest and all the Amungme people, our pigs and every piece we have. And make a huge hole to bury us with all our belongings. You cover that and then do anything you want over that burial'.

It was quiet for a while and there were no words, either from the military commander (Danki) or the Freeport officials, after Tuwarek Narkime expressed his deep concern. Some of them even wiped tears from their eyes.

But suddenly Lexy Linturan of Freeport gave his comments saying: 'Mr Nakime, I have also had a missionary education when I was in Post VII Sentani in Jayapura. I learned much about Christian religion, about the life of Jesus Christ. We are aware that the Bible tells how Jesus had to go through much suffering, He was tortured and finally crucified. But He was never angry at anybody. Instead He loved and forgave those who hurt Him. Therefore I believe that God cares and has heard... So for those 13 people who are now under arrest and tortured God must be there to hear their slaughter and cries. So Mr Narkime you don't have to be angry'.

For the Amungme representatives Lexy's words using the Bible were understandable because it has been common for development agents to 'use' the Bible to calm down the indigenous people once they claim their rights. However, the representatives found it difficult to comment to Lexy since their main purpose was to negotiate for the release of the 13 detainees. So they just accepted what had been said.

It was then Freeport officials, the military commander (Danki) and four Amungme representatives went down together to the ABRI Post in Mile 67 to see the 13 detainees. In a talk with the ABRI troops at their post, it was learned they would release a few of the 13 people but that they would have to sign a letter stating they were involved with the GPK rebels in the forest (which meant admitting they too were GPK). ABRI expected some of the more stubborn detainees would remain in detention several more weeks until they accepted they had been involved with the rebels. As mentioned above 12 people, after suffering much torture and wounding, finally decided to sign the agreement. One refused to sign and remained in detention for three weeks in that ABRI post.

The 250 so-called 'GPK' civilians

For 6 months (July to December 1994) about 250 civilians or 115 families of Tsinga valley hid in the forest to avoid being caught between the GPK rebels and ABRI.

They received no help from the government or social institutions. As a result many of their relatives in neighbouring villages such as Arwanop, Banti, Waa, and Timika were concerned about them. So they decided to send 26 people to approach the military commander (Danki) in Tembagapura and the ABRI Post Commander in Tsinga.

After a long debate between the villagers and ABRI, some conditions were agreed on. The ABRI troops said they would not guarantee the lives of the 26 who would like to search for the civilians. This 'proposal' was accepted by the villagers. The villagers proposed that ABRI (a) stop clearing the Tsinga villagers' plants, (b) not come along with the 26 villagers to the forest, and (c) not use their guns once the civilians came out of the forest. The ABRI troops accepted these terms and, on 29 January, the 26 people left for the forest.

After days of walking up and down mountains and hills they finally met with the rebels. The 26 representatives were under threats from the rebels who suspected they must be cooperating with ABRI. It took 3 days of negotiations with the rebels.

Finally Mr Kelly Kwalek, the GPK rebels' leader, let them see the civilians who were 'fenced' by the rebels. When the 26 people cried out to the civilians calling their names and saying that they had come to save them, the civilians came out of their hiding places to greet their 'relatives'. Sadness and happiness filled the people who had been waiting for 6 months, longing for their Tsinga village home. Some said that since they had been in the forest such a long time they did not expect help would come.

The 250 civilians gathered together and made their way to Tsinga, arriving on 5 February. They were 'greeted' by ABRI troops in the village and by other neighbouring villagers. But since their houses were already burnt down, they were gathered to stay in the church.

On 11 February 1995, Radio Republik Indonesia (RRI) Jakarta broadcast that about '250 GPK rebels' of Tsinga valley in the sub-district of Mimika Timur, Fak-Fak Regency had surrendered.



List of civilians killed by ABRI

June-July 1994

  1. Bantek Magal (45), Tsinga
  2. Netsigikal Beanal (42), Tsinga
  3. Henky Beanal (19), Tsinga
  4. Yusak Kum (19), Tsinga
  5. Agawal, primary school teacher, Tsinga

October 1994

  1. Gordon Rumaropen (32), Biak tribe, Freeport employee.

November 1994

Five relatives of Mr Kelly Kwalik (OPM rebels' leader) who were captured at the Transmigration site in Timika for interrogation and killed by ABRI in Timika.

  1. Ambrosius Kwalik (age unknown)
  2. Davianus Kwalik (age unknown)
  3. Romulus Kwalik (age unknown)
  4. Marius Kwalik (age unknown)
  5. Hosea Kwalik (age unknown)

5 December 1994

  1. Rev Derek Beanal (21), of Kingmi church, Tsinga
  2. Uljimutme Uamang (19), Hoea
  3. Uruwal Uamang (about 30), Hoea

25 December 1994

  1. Nogoigamakme Mom (31), Tembagapura
  2. Natanewelan Hanggaibak (43), Tembagapura
  3. Six people of the Dani tribe killed or disappeared on the bus from Tembagapura to Timika on 25 December 1994. Names, age and occupation not available.
  4. Dani man
  5. Dani man
  6. Dani man
  7. Dani man
  8. Dani man
  9. Dani man


Thirteen people captured and arrested after the peaceful demonstration in Tembagapura on 25 December 1994

  1. Petrus Mabak
  2. Dominggus Narkime
  3. Eltinus Omaleng
  4. Oktovianus Tiwak
  5. Pius Waker
  6. Nalmun Narkime
  7. Junus Omabak
  8. Silas Magal
  9. Johnny Beanal (Amungme Freeport employee)
  10. Deny Ongomang (21)
  11. Jakobus Magal (22)
  12. Missing in original (Ed.)
  13. Komugal (19)

The foregoing text was produced by scanning from paper and manual editing to produce an HTML version. For a version of this report received later by email from AFCOA, see original.